Straczynski and Schroedinger: a match made in kitty heaven

So, by now, you probably know that I'm historically a big JMS (Joe Michael Straczynski) reader.

I've noticed a few patterns in his writing, but a prominent one is this: the man really likes Schroedinger.

You may know Schroedinger for his thought experiment: Schroedinger's cat.

schroedinger

Basically, you put a cat in a box that has a 50% chance of dispelling poison. You can't see it.
Until you open that box, the cat is neither dead nor alive. It's in what you call "quantum superposition" -- it's alive and dead.

In this panel, Dr. Donald Blake talks about the theory as it pertains to a Thor-in-a-box in Thor #7:

from ThorHere, Spidey talks to Dr. Strange about the quantum possibilities created by an invasion of the Mindless Ones in Amazing Spider-Man #499:

from Amazing Spider-ManIn this panel, physicist Arcanna Jones talks about the experiment in Supreme Power: Hyperion --

from Squadron Supreme: HyperionEach writer has their own personal quirks. It's really nice that I get to observe Straczynski's. If you find it anywhere else, feel free to tell me, and I'll try to get it on the blog.

I also notice that he likes talking about the Doctrine of Unintended Consequences, but I can't exactly remember any specific instances except one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go