cover to cover: catching up on cosmic comics

Two comics of Cosmic Marvel today. These two guys have been out for quite a while, but I only got them today.

The first one I really dislike, the second I actually really like.

Guardians of the Galaxy #8
by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and some fill-in artists who AREN'T Paul Pelletier


There was a point where this comic just became more about fighting and beating people up, and stopping the Next Thing That Will Conquer Earth, than it was about the people themselves, and frankly, I'm tired of it. I feel dumb for just picking this up. All these new characters are introduced (Vance Astro, Darkhawk, Blastaar, that one guy I don't remember), when we barely know anything about the established characters! It is frustrating.

Couple this with the fact that there are so many plot threads juggling around, by the time you pick up next issue, you've forgotten what happened last issue because so little time was dedicated to it. The Universal Church of Truth thread, that's been going on since, like, issue 3 hasn't it?

oh skullskullskullskull

"Oh skullskullskullskullexclamation point" is right, Peter Quill! I know that with the computer revolution, we're becoming better multitaskers (at the cost of our ability to focus), but not like this, guys. Not like this. You must punch me if I cave in and buy next issue, okay guys? Okay?

ALSO: The cliffhanger was really boring, and actually predictable. When even I see it coming and roll my eyes, then you're doing something wrong there, buckos.

Nova #20

by Abnett, Lanning, Alves and Burges

This is one of the "downtime" issues, where Richard Rider takes a moment to ruminate over family issues back on Earth. He gets together the ol' gang (the last two members of the New Warriors who're left), and does some heart-to-heart.

pizza

The personal issues come off as a bit contrite, but I think it resolves very well, and, well, how often do you see big-brother-little-brother issues in a comic book? It's nice to see that Richard can be so open around long-time friends. The story is presented very sentimentally, which I thought was a nice change of pace from all the cosmic slugging-it-out we see.

Also: The two-page spread cliffhanger is completely insane.
I find it unfortunate that Wellinton Alves can't handle the art duty by himself, and hasn't for a while, but if the last page is any indicator, at least Adi Granov is back on covers!
Adi Granov NEXT

Yes!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go