Serials for today: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man and Batwoman


Ultimate Comics All-New Spider-Man #8
by Brian Bendis, Sara Pichelli, Justin Ponsor
cover by Kaare Andrews

Kaare Andrews has been doing a lot of these hyper-realistic covers for the Ultimate line, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. During 2008, he had an amazing cover run of The Incredible Hulk (#34 -#54, see here), where he experimented with tons of dif
ferent styles, and these don't allow him to do that.

Anyways, the issue: I feel like this is one of the first, to be a "full" issue. I liked it, and I felt like the story was worth the pages it was printed on. Bendis manages to tell a classic Spidey melodrama that Stan and Steve themselves built up: It's this incredible rush to jump around and be Spider-Man, but the secret identity can cause a lot of grief in your life. That's the same dilemma that Miles faces, and it still works today.

Bendis continues to hint at what makes Miles so different too: he just doesn't know how to be a super hero! Here he defeats the Ring while captured in the Ring's. . . rings. Miles, you definitely win the award for Most Awkward Super Guy 2012.


Thief of Thieves #2
by Kirkman, Spencer, Martinbrough

Lots of flashbacks in this issue, but they all serve to flesh out the character Redmond, and I don't feel cheated. The last page is killer, and for the price point of $2.99, the title has enough goodwill for me to keep up with the third.







Batwoman #1
by J.H. Williams III

So I got this totally on impulse, expecting that the art would be spectacular. I've read his work before on Batman with Grant Morrison, and I was impressed enough with the layouts and two-page spreads to give this a try.

There's a small kidnapping mystery that's set up, but the twentieth page doesn't work as a hook, at all. It feels like the script was 22 pages, and they decided to chop off the last two pages: there's no "cliffhanger" feeling at all, which is a shame, because I'd really rather read this title in serials, because the two-page spreads are better read that way.


Again with the art: there's a lot going on in the two-page spreads, and the coloring doesn't help much. Objects blend in together, and it doesn't make for an enjoyable read. The scan actually looks better than the paper version, because the contrast is a bit higher. And, I'd rather not read this title digitally, because the spreads are the kind of things that you have to hold in your hand.

So, to summarize: a lot of factors imply I should read Batwoman in a format I'd rather not, so, I'm just gonna save the trouble and not pick this up at all. If any of you want to convince me otherwise, light up the comments.

Follow chezkevin on rss | twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go