friendly neighborhood housekeeping

Black Canary - now in Technicolor!
If you're reading this blog, there's no doubt that you're familiar with the show Smallville, on the CW (what does that stand for?). If you're not, though, it's basically about young(ish) Clark Kent and his adventures at home, Smallville, and Metropolis. They've already formed a "league of justice," with appearances by Green Arrow and Cyborg, but some fans may be dismayed that Batman has yet to appear.

Looks like it's Black Canary's turn, as she's getting the spotlight on the episode aptly titled "Siren." Dinah Lance here has short hair, as in the Dixon era of Birds, and she doesn't have a wig bothering her. She looks like a raccoon. I'm not trying to insult her or anything, just making an observation. Besides those, there's. . .

. . . fishnets!Click the link to comicscontinuum for more info. Mark your calendars for February 7th on the CW!

Poll poll poll

I finally got the nerve to remove my first poll, in which we helped Sue decide what to do with Mr. Editor-in-Chief.

All two of you guys voted to A) lock him up! What an upset! I'm blown outta my mind!

But seriously, thanks for voting, guys. It's nice to see some support. . .

. . . so I wanna introduce a "fill-in" poll, about the Birds of Prey. Basically, who's your favorite? I list Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress, Zinda, Misfit and Big Barda, but feel free to put "Other" and comment on this post.

I called it a "fill-in" poll, because I'm planning a bigger poll when February starts. This means the time is ticking for you to vote! Do it! Do it now!

Why does everyone like Bachalo?

In this Newsarama article, Tom Brevoort AKA one of the editors on Amazing Spider-Man, talks about the art of Brand New Day.

Brevoort touched on all four of the BND artists, who are Salvador Larroca, Phil Jimenez, Steve McNiven, and Chris Bachalo. I'm especially looking forward to Larroca's work, who was exceptional in expressions in the Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra mini and the Sensational Spider-Man Annual . His pencils are very realistic and expressive, although it doesn't need such saturated colors and such thick inking, and I'm kinda apprehensive about the obvious movie inspiration.

Regardless, fans seem skewed on Chris Bachalo's artwork. They called him "one of their all-time favs" or "Get this guy on New Avengers! STAT!" He's pretty famous for his work on all kinds of x-books, like Uncanny X-Men or Ultimate X-Men, but there's one thing I don't get. . .

. . . What's so great about him? I really don't understand why he's getting praised. He draws people with the same overexaggerated chin and underexaggerated figure. They'd look like children if he didn't make them grimace all the time! I'm a big fan of what he did in Death: the High Cost of Living, but his style's become heavily exaggerated, and I really think he belongs on kids' titles like Marvel Adventures.

Could someone please enlighten me?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go