Where were YOU the day Johnny Storm died?

That's right folks; this week saw the death of the next Fantastic Four. How long it sticks, only Marvel knows. Did you get a chance to read the issue? If you have any thoughts, feel free to tell me about it.

ITEM! Free Comic Book day's released their Gold titles. Check it out here. Then come back here and check out my Wednesday haul.

I got two sequential art books today. One was 3.99, and the other was 3.50. Pleasingly, neither had any advertisements.
by Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos

This issue marks the debut of Dan Slott's solo captaining of the Spidey ship. And from the 39 pages, it sounds like he's charted a course. Spidey saves the day from Doc Ock (the new maniacal one from #600) and his new Sinister Six, and the following pages are a tour of Peter's new status quo: a new job in a laboratory, a new place and a bunch of new (and old) enemies with new schemes.

The thing is mostly set-up, but it's pretty smart. Slott has a wealth of things to tell; now he just has to tell them. My favorite part is how well Slott knows the Spidey stories, and how he'll bring 'em up, like when Peter calls Randy Robertson about asking to room again. Randy brings up a certain piece of cheese, rejecting Peter. There's this great sequence where Peter's quizzed by the lab workers, and all his answers are from his struggles against supervillains.
The second one's from the Paper Doll arc, and I'm assuming the first and third are pretty generic enough to be Spidey-knowledge. Peter gets a new job, and his path there is built by his past adventures. I think this describes the issue as a whole. #648 moves Peter forward while evoking his past stories. As a spider-fan, I can't think of a better way to start a run.

#652's already been released, and the arc starting with #648 is concluded, but I'm gonna try to buy each issue week by week, provided the shop has 'em.

Because I'm a tease like that.

Usagi Yojimbo #134

by Stan Sakai

You guys know my love for talking animals (check out We3, or Howard the Duck). When I was a kid, I remembered seeing Usagi Yojimbo on an episode of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so I figured I'd reach to a non-big 2 book.

I was lucky enough to run into this stand-alone story. Usagi runs into the fox, Kitsune, selling toad oil, which is rumored to cure any wound. Shenanigans ensue! It's a small story about a cunning fox who's out to grab her fair share. I plan on reading more.

In lieu of scans, a super-sweet 6-page preview. Have a great weekend.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go