Panel by Panel: A Letter to Amazing Spider-Man #549

Dear Amazing Spider-Man #549,

Hi! How are you? Is it exciting to get a new writer and artist for the month? How were Slott and McNiven for you? Are you still reeling from the aftereffects of One More Day?

'Cause if you are, you're not alone!

But hey, the past is the past, so let's look at the here and now. Let's talk about you!
FIRST OFF, may I compliment both of your covers. Give my regards to Salvador Larroca for, albeit drawing on the Spider-movies for inspiration, refraining from going the full monty and opting to give Spider-Man Romita-esque eyes. They are the most important part after all, and Larroca must understand that I'm quite a stickler about them! Much obliged, Larroca, much obliged.

A complaint about the second one, David Finch's variant cover. MY COMIC SHOP LISTED IT FOR SEVENTEEN DOLLARS! $17.00! Diez y siete dolares! That's definitely price-gouging if ever I saw it. Regardless, it's nice to see MJackpot on a cover, and it's also nice to see some Ditko-esque eyes on Spidey.

AS FOR YOUR CONTENTS
, we see this as an introduction:

Forgive me if I'm being blunt, Amazing #549, but who wrote this? Who wrote this drivel? Please firmly and harshly reprimand the perpetrator of this crime. It's immature; it's forced, and it sounds all too phony. "Ya" sounds terribly unnatural, and I don't even have an Xbox for chrissakes.

I know that you want to make amends for One More Day; I know that you want to connect to your readers, but this is not the way to do it.

AS THE BLURB STATED ("WHO'S THAT GIRL?!?"), you talk about the Initiative's new "it" girl, Jackpot (Who is clearly MJ!) It saddened me to see her tossed around by that criminal, but it makes sense, because she's new to superhero-ing, and pretty naive. I sorely hope that you flesh her out by the time you're done with Guggenheim and Larroca, because if you're not, my wallet might not let us see each other again =(.

A good point that you brought up is the possibility that Jackpot is in fact Peter's ex, Mary Jane Watson-Parker. Thankfully, Peter asks her about her suspicious name as well as her pet names ("No problem, tiger." "You could talk about 'hitting the jackpot'.")

I must say, you very gracefully handled the question, but dodged it. That's completely okay, so long as you tell me who this Jackpot lady is by the end of the arc, alright? Flesh her out, you know?

Thanks a bunch.

AS FOR THE HUMOR, it appears to be more clear-cut: it's either hit or miss in this issue. When Dexter Bennett takes over the Daily Bugle and renames it into the DB, there's some great ironic humor when he gives his new staff (including Peter) a speech about work ethics. It's very clever.

On the other hand, you have this incredibly obnoxious one-liner. I know that Spidey's legendary for quipping, but this is too much. Please tone it down; whatever happened to any ounce of maturity that Spidey retained after One More Day? You can't say that he retained none, you just can't.

OVERALL, I'm fairly content with you, Amazing #549. To be fair, though, I liked Slott's first issue, but was ultimately disappointed with the arc. Please don't disappoint me, Guggenheim.

Much love,
Kevin T.

P.S. Could you please remind Salvador Larroca to draw the women better? They all look like their mouths are scowling, or their eyes are too big, or their cheeks are too manly. . . or their hair is brunette after being red after being blonde!!!!

---

Yep, so I'd rate it, about a. . . 3.5 out of 5 falling construction guys. Good for an establishing issue, but more needs to be told in the rest of the arc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go