some friendly neighborhood stream of "consciousness"

No real post today, just some errant thoughts and concerns. None of the images I use will have anything to do with anything.

1) THIS IS MY REVIEW FOR THE SPIRIT (2008):
Frank Miller's The Spirit was OK. I mean, it's a completely different monster from Will Eisner's stuff, because Eisner managed to tell a story in 10 pages, and didn't try to pack so much into a single story, but the movie was OK, and paid enough attention to the past.
The tone was somewhat schizophrenic, and not as fun/action/adventure-y as Eisner's. Why was there such an emphasis on technology, and artillery? I felt that went a little overboard.
the Spirit
(SPOILER:) It was totally awesome when Octopus exploded and left a smoke trail in the shape of an Octopus. That is the kind of visual thing that Eisner would play around with.
Also, Morgan Stern, the rookie police officer, is really cute. I adore her Brooklyn accent.

2) I JUST FINISHED ALAN MOORE'S WATCHMEN:
And no, it's not 'cause the movie's coming out. It's just that the library never has it, because everyone wants to read it.

I always approach these kinds of critically-acclaimed books with a skepticism, because hey -- I'm not really reading this of my own will. I'm reading it because it's so darn acclaimed, and you can't escape that fact.
Hank Pym, you idiot
That said, it's pretty awesome. It's a little dense at some points, and intellectually hard to chew, but it makes sense in the end.
My particular favorite aspect about Watchmen is that every issue tells its own story, in contribution to the larger story. God, this trade. . . it was in an era when we didn't have decompression. You know how good that feels?

Every issue has its own meaning that sets it apart from the others. One is about Rorschach's past, and it frames his behavior perfectly while in prison. Another is built to flesh out Doc Manhattan, and it's something of a philosophical treatise on time! Another is designed to show us the blossoming relationship between Laurie Juspeczyk and Dan Dreiberg.
Hammerhead, you idiot
It might be my cynicism on recent weekly comics, but I really miss this kind of writing. Where something important belongs to each issue, and they all culminate in the final insight of, "Who watches the Watchmen?" God.

3) OKAY, I WAS LYING:
I do like Rocky Road ice cream.


4) UNFORTUNATELY:
In the midst of all these trades, and these movies, and my "thoughts" on them, I won't be able to review the last volume of 52.
sobek and osiris, after offing that guy
I know, it breaks my heart too and widens my eyes in terror in the background of a horrendous fire. I don't have enough time, because I need to return to university on Friday, and I'm actually supposed to be doing academic crap now.
I can't wait to get my grubby hands on the fourth volume though!

5) CLARK BARS RULE:
clark bars
It's true, you know.

6) IF I DON'T SEE YOU GUYS BEFORE THEN:
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

I've been too chicken to see The Spirit, simply because I don't trust the character in Frank Miller's hands. :-(

Kevin said...

Rightly so!

But it's not "All-Star Batman and Robin" bad. The badness isn't bad enough to be hilarious, but it's bad enough to feel sorry for the guy (Spirit). I feel like Frank Miller really tried to put his own spin on the Spirit and modernize him, but it just didn't pan out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go