Best of April 2012: Atomic Robo, Chew, The Flash and more

I picked up several titles in April, and here's a collection of my favorites!

Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures #1
by various

Robo's worked with Sagan! He's worked with Ford! And now! Now!

Avenging Spider-Man #5
by Zeb Wells and Leinil Yu


When Peter asks Cap'n about why he gave up his career as a comic artist, this is his reason. And it's a stunning one.

Batman #8
"Attack on Wayne Manor" by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
"The Call" by Snyder, Tynion IV and Albuquerque

"Night of the Owls" started in April, and I decided to jump back on. I'm so glad I did.
I love the use of the black space. Bruce has literally been in the dark as to the true nature of the city he grew up in, and the city he helped build.

The action scenes are clever, and they're not the only parts that are smart. Check out this chilling scene from the Owls. The feeling is genuine that Batman's up against some big odds.

Chew #25
by John Layman and Rob Guillory


What an amazing visual. Now that Tony has a baseball, he uses the knowledge that he learned from eating all the dead baseball players, to throw a killer fastball. All the baseball players are behind him, and he's framed in a card-esque panel!

All-star panel here.

Daredevil #11
by Mark Waid and Marco Chechetto

Here's Chechetto's version of radar sense: 


It's not too creative, and the issue doesn't hold up so well alongside other issues, but I'll take it. There's also an impassioned page from Daredevil that engages the theme of the reboot.

The Flash #8
by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato

Omigosh I loved this issue.

Man, look at this thing. I love it. Flash has ended up in a weird place, and he's meeting a weird person. He doesn't know what's what, and it's awesome.

Here's how the Speed Force works:

Isn't that cool? Here's one last image:

I love the close-up on Hynes' finger. You can see the anxiety in his face: it's the first time he's met someone since 1944, and he's scared about what to do. When I look at his face, I'm scared too, for the Flash and what Hynes might do to him. Without a doubt, my favorite title of April.

The Goon #39
by Eric Powell and Dave Stewart


If you're on this blog, you might already get the joke. If you don't, here it is.

The New Deadwardians #2 
by Dan Abnett and I.N.J. Culbard

I really like this sequence. There's no need to show the time between "Send in Louisa" and, "Hi, Louisa" so these guys just leave it to the time in between panels. You see what you need to see, and nothing superfluous. Excellent piece of visual story.


The Punisher #10
by Greg Rucka and Marco Chechetto, with thanks to Mark Waid
It might just be me. . .







. . . but Chechetto must have a lot of fun drawing Spider-Man.


Secret Avengers #24
by Rick Remender and Gabriel Hardman
This is one emotional beat in an issue with a lot of turmoil, making it that much stronger. I also really dug the last page here, in which Ant Man reveals that he isn't dead. What, not even an issue where he's gone, and I'm already excited that he's back! That's good drama.

Follow chezkevin on rss | twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go