stuff I DIDN'T get this week

Ahoy-hoy guys. It's me, your friendly neighborhood comics blogger.

Normally, I just go through comics as I get them, but I thought today I'd do something different. Instead of continuing with reviews, I thought we could actually talk about stuff I didn't get. It gives me a chance to look at everything I'm missing out, and hopefully a chance for you to tell me about something I'm missing out on! So let's get jiggy with it:


-Oh hey the third issue of Secret Invasion was out today. I'm always meh about event comics, because, by their nature, they're big and over-arching. I prefer the details. Hopefully, people are enjoying Secret Invasion.

Handily enough, I caught a glimpse at the checklist, and you'll notice that the tie-ins increase by month!

A little psychology lesson for you: this is what you call the foot-in-the-door phenomenon. It's pretty much a strategy for getting people to do what you want. Take, for example, I want you to get me a box of ice-cool clark bars from the refrigerator, except the fridge is too far right? So I ask you to, for example, to get me the pen that's right next to you. Then I ask for the pad that's a few steps from you, and so on. . .

. . . I skimmed through issue three, and lemme tell you this much: Leinil Francis Yu draws a kick-ass Venom.


-And I suppose I should make a comment on Final Crisis as well. I skimmed through the first issue and found that I had no idea who most of the people were. It's not very reader-friendly, although I did note the red skies, which were a nod to the red skies in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I hope readers enjoy Final Crisis, and it helps bring DC out of the rut it's currently in.clark bars

-I was skimming the indy shelves and saw that Madame Mirage #6 came out.

One question: WHEN DID ISSUE FIVE COME OUT???? All I remember is some campy-style writing that ran counter to the futuristic noir setting, lots of big boobs, and then -- nothing! A big fat hiatus.

Needless to say, I didn't pick it up, but I'll always wonder.


-Note to self: I should get Vertigo's First Cuts before it runs out. Six issues for 5 dollars; there's really no way that that's a loss.


-Some big hitters for Marvel include the first issue of Ultimate Origins, which is supposed to give us the origins of the Ultimate Universe. I'd like to check it out, but it seems as if I can just get the story from word-of-mouth on the blogosphere.


- I also figure I can get by word-of-mouth what's going on with the apparently well-received first issue of Trinity, by Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley.

I have to say, I'm really impressed that the first issue is 3 bucks, because I usually see DC selling its first issues for 3.50 or the like.


-A big book that had critical acclaim but never made it through commercially is the Manhunter series, which was cancelled and apparently brought back, this week, with issue 31!

Which makes me sad, because good writing should equate good sales =(.

-And hey, check out this free Atomic Robo contest that blogger Kirk Warren is setting up. Get over here, answer some questions about Atomic Robo and you'll be in the sweepstakes for a free and signed Atomic Robo trade!

Atomic Robo is a fun adventure comic with roots in history. It features Nicola Tesla's ass-kickin' robot Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne!


-You know, doing this little segment just reminded me how poor I am, because if I weren't, all of these would just be on the review block.

So what do you think? Any of the stuff here you're particularly fond of? Am I missing out on something great?

I'd be much obliged if you could answer a question, or heck: go wild and answer two! Bwahahahaha!

Regardless, feel free to leave a comment, and if you're shy, you can always choose "Anonymous"

2 comments:

Kirk Warren said...

Hey, thanks for the link back to my Atomic Robo contest. I appreciate it and hope your readers can take the time to fill out the simple questions. It's one of my favourite new series and I can't wait for volume two. Main reason I chose it for the contest was to get people talking about such a great title.

About Final Crisis, it's very much in line with the insular and almost incestuous nature of the DCU over the past few years.

It's as if DC realized they weren't getting many younger readers and, instead of pursuing new ideas and opportunities, decided to latch onto their current longtime readers and overload everything with so much continuity and tie-ins that it forced those hardcore people to just buy everything or risk missing out on what the hell is going on.

It leads to some good stories for those that can keep up with it, but it's hell for new or returning readers.


And go buy MANHUNTER! Now! Ahaha, I'm serious. It's amazing and if you've never read it before, you owe it to yourself to give at least one issue a try.


Oh, and when you go pick up Manhunter, how about grabbing me and a box of ice-cool clark bars. Mmmm, clark bars.

Kevin said...

All in the good fun of reading well-written comics!

And hey, that link again is here, for those of you who missed it (cough hack cough).

That's too bad about Final Crisis (for me), but I'll definitely be making room in my reading list for Manhunter. It's been a long time since I've revamped my roster anyways!

Thanks for commenting on the blog, and you can count on those clark bars comin' your way!

Note: Incoming clark bars may not actually exist.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go