Marvel cashes in on spidey nostalgia. Fans appeased, and only slightly angry.

So what else is new?I only got once comic this week, but boy is it a doozy.

Dark Reign: The Goblin Legacy
by various

The title might as well be Amazing Spider-Man #'s 39-40 and stuff, because the real meat of the comic is the reprints. The Green Goblin hatches a scheme to learn Spidey's identity, succeeds, kidnaps Peter Parker, explains how he became the Green Goblin, ultimately culminating in a totally epic fight that ends the reign of the Goblin (amnesia! You don't get more Spidey soap opera than that!)
Forever, huh, Spidey?

All the while, J. Jonah Jameson gets his jolly on, and Aunt May worries about her poor dear "frail" Peter. Classic Spider-Man!

It's all framed in a Dark Reign sequence, and although I love what it's done with Norman Osborn, I think it's lost much of its steam since its opening. Sure, I already have the two issues of Amazing in Essential format (black n' white), but I am a sucker for old-school Stan Lee Spidey, and colored John Romita Sr. stuff. It's a terrible addiction, but I think it's valid.

You pick up the comic, and you get lost in it! It's a world where the writer winks and nods at you. A world where superheroes kick their villains in the face, while spouting five long sentences in mid-air.
. . . and, well, a world where there are things like "anti-spider-man explosives"! I love it.

There are better ways to get your spidey nostalgia on than this, for sure. But it's not too bad, if I say so myself.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go