Serials for 6-04-08: Detective Comics #845 and Supergirl #30

What a Wednesday! Lots of stuff to read, so let's be fair and alphabetical. Let's take a review at the DC books first, which for me are Detective Comics #845 and Supergirl #30.

Detective Comics #845
by Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen

The finished cover is gorgeous and has a cat-like figure plus a little blurb saying "She's back!" Yes, that's referring to Catwoman, back from the Hell Planet, but that's a big mislead right there. Catwoman gets about only 2.7 pages time in the issue, but at least she spends those pages being awesome:


But the real story here revolves around a new serial killer in Gotham, and unfortunately, the payoff of the mystery is kind of lazy and underwhelming. Not exactly a stellar issue in the writing, but Nguyen's pencils are still sleek and exquisite. And hey, we get Bruce Wayne munchin' on a sandwich while reading a message board!


Ahhh, what a guy. What a hero.

Supergirl #30
by Will Pfeifer and Ron Randall

Whoawhoawhoa slow down here, DC! I took a look at the credits up top and you totally changed them! Your solicits told me that it'd be by Kelley Puckett and Drew Johnson, not Pfeifer and Randall here! What is going on?

And this isn't the first time either! Remember when you said Cliff Chiang was doing the art for Green Arrow/Black Canary #7, but then when I got it, Mike Norton was all up in my face???

I don't know who to trust anymore! I thought we were friends solicits! Why do you hate me solicits???

Oh, about the issue.

I don't know where to place it in continuity. Is this after Supergirl found out that Timmy's dead? If that's the case, why aren't we shown any kind of reconciliation to that thread?

Instead, we get a story about Supergirl revisiting her past. Sounds kinda needless if you ask me, but it resolves a thread from Puckett's very first arc: she uses the portal from that arc to see the remains of Krypton. This feels contrite, because didn't we get this already? I think Kara visited Krypton already before. . .

. . . well, I went through my longbox, and I didn't find it anywhere. Unless I've missed it, this is just a case of the story feeling done before. Which isn't a good thing either!

I feel like DC made a mistake by putting this issue out. It's actually nice, in characterizing Kara against Livewire, but it feels done-before, trite and needless. And look at this half-page!

Two mistakes right there: "sacraficing" is spelled wrong, and Kara's tears are brown for some reason.

Hopefully, next issue turns it around, but for now, I'm disappointed. Hopefully, this down time can actually make some provisions so that Drew Johnson can actually pencil a full 22 pages?

(just so you guys don't think I hate Will Pfeifer, feel free to check out some of his work on Catwoman. It's fun comics!)

We're actually not going to continue reviews next post, but something experimental. I'll guess you'll have to stay tuned!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go