Back-to-back Cover to Cover Knee-jerking part2: THIS many befuddling buzzwords!

Part one here. I'm basically cleaning off the review stack for the past two weeks, which, well, isn't that much, but still.

Today we're lookin' at Catwoman and Amazing Spider-Man.

Catwoman #76
by Will Pfeifer amd David/Alvaro Lopez, lovely cover by Adam Hughes

By the recommendation of pretty much every blogger in existence, I thought I'd give Catwoman a go.

In short: I could've jumped on at much better points, but this issue still holds its own pretty well. Where else, after all, can you find such spectacular sights as:

A) A Bat-helicopter!

or B) Catwoman kicking a panther!


But the best of all is C) Catwoman being competent:

This was actually a pretty fun issue, as Selina adjusts to an alternate universe. There, she meets an older, pudgier Batman/Bruce who uses a gun (!), and in that universe, Catwoman is actually her sister (who also uses a gun), and has no compunctions about murder.

In that universe, Selina was the one killed by Black Mask, not her sister, Maggie.

Mostly build-up in this issue, but it was really nice to see such a competent superheroine.

Also, in this universe, Selina discovers that she has superpowers - her strength is augmented and she's immune to bullets!

A fun romp that'll doubtlessly lead to an exciting next issue. I am, however, waiting for more substance.

I earlier resolved to give this title some trial issues, and I certainly haven't regretted it thus far.


Amazing Spider-Man #551
by Marc Guggenheim and Salvador Larroca


When I first saw that cover, I thought it was spot-on. Salvador Larroca hits a perfect angle of Spidey's eyes, and his frontal anatomy looks beautifully correct. There's a story in this cover. The coloring is flawless as well - not too murky, with just the right tone of seriousness. My hats off to you, Mr. Peru.

But then I took a closer look, particularly at Spidey's back.

And then I looked at his front -- then his back again. . . .

They don't line up correctly. Spidey's right arm shouldn't be that far back from him.

That really disappointed me, but then again, I guess I'm used to it, Marvel.

I hit a snafu in obtaining the previous issue, so I'm jumping to the conclusion of Mr. Guggenheim's arc.

The plot runs down as this:
A) Menace kidnaps Councilwoman X.
B) Jackpot/Spidey team up to save her.
C) Councilwoman X dies because of a misjudgement on Jackpot's
part. Jackpot is scarred and lashes out against Spidey.
D) Spidey goes to "Sara Ehret"'s home. The Mystery of Who Is Jackpot: TO BE CONTINUED.

Menace only gets one line of fleshing out:
"Where are you going, Councilwoman Parfrey? You want to run for MAYOR, but won't mingle with the commoners?"
Maybe he's some kind of anti-government type, but I don't think we'll find out any time soon. It's very disappointing to see that he has almost no personality in an arc surrounding him as the villain. Thus far, he's just another Goblin imitator. And God knows we need more of those.

But aside from that, it's really, really cute how Jackpot and Spidey interact. I love that she's this new, pristine superhero to Spidey's pedigreed experience.

If only we would get more stories out of this, because I know that this is a story cow waiting to be milked, but near the end of the issue, Jackpot gets angry at Spidey for Parfrey's death. Later, Menace is absurd enough to say to Spidey,
"This is your fault. This is all on you."
and Spidey is obnoxious enough to look at Jackpot and think in response,
"It's not, of course. We know who really deserves the blame."
NO. Not even six issues in, and you want to devastate Jackpot's character? Where is the stability that the title needs so much now? Where is the fun that this book was to return to?

While I'm in angry mode, let's just get in two more points:
-Larroca is extremely inconsistent in drawing Spidey's eyes.
-Peter Parker appears for one page and a panel. . . remember Tom Brevoort's Spidey Bible? Remember how he said the stories would be Peter-centric? Well, if you do, then Marvel doesn't want you reading this book.

This is the last one, I swear:
-We get nothing but more chain-yanking about Jackpot's identity. That makes me very sad to see, sad and disappointed, Marvel. I expected more Jackpot from this arc.

On the other hand, I enjoyed how Guggenheim toned down Spidey's obnoxious quipping (particularly in his interaction with Menace), and I enjoyed PorterPeter's interaction with Dexter Bennett of the DB. Mr. Guggenheim, I was optimistic, I really was, but just like Mr. Slott, you disappointed me. Do you even want me reading your books, Marvel? Is this a game to see how much you can alienate me before I stop reading?

If so, you win. 10 dollars a month for a book that alienates me is worth 20 dollars of my effort. I'm not sticking around for Phil "Spider-Man has no nose under that mask" Jimenez or Chris "Everyone must grimace and have overstylized and underhumanized anatomy" Bachalo's arc.

You guys sure are making it tough, but I really want to find the good in this brand new day. I really do. I'll be back to review Dan Slott's arc kicking off with Amazing Spider-Man 558. I mean, come on, just look at this page:
Barry Kitson knows what's up. Do YOU?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go