Serials: Let's-wait-for-the-trade edition

The Flash #1 (Rebirth)
"Lightning Strikes Twice," by Joshua Williamson and Carmine di Giandomenico

It takes three pages to tell Barry's origin story. Alongside the Justice League movie, the CW series, the other three volumes of the Flash that told his origin story, you might think it's a little overkill. I sure do, especially in a 20-page comic book that only has so much space to tell a story. You don't need to spend 3 of them rehashing an old one.

Barry does plenty of things in this issue, but I don't feel like there was enough to justify how much I paid. I barely got any kind of story, and now I have to wait 30 days just to get the next chunk. No thanks, not for $2.99. I'm sure there's someone out there who'll enjoy this comic. But not for me, and not in this format. If I get curious again, I'll read it as a trade.



Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #'s 6 and 297
by Chip Zdarsky, Michael Walsh, and Adam Kubert

Seeing Chip's name on the credit piqued my interest -- he's written some solid humor stuff with Howard the Duck, so I figured it translated pretty well to the wise-cracking Spider-Man. He doesn't fail to deliver, as issue 6 is really just a "talking" issue. Literally, it's Spider-Man sitting down over dinner with J. Jonah Jameson for "the interview of the century," so Peter can get information about where his sister is, an ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. agent or something.

Wait, Peter has a sister? Yep, that happened, and that's about as much as they tell you. You'd think that's all you need to know, but that's really the impetus behind the story. I don't have too much knowledge on her, but the Legacy re-numbering and the Stamp incentivized me enough to grab issue 297 too -- it's a heart-pumping escape scene with a twist ending that'll make you want to grab next ish -- if the price were right. But for me, at 3.99 an issue, when I'm in the middle of a larger story that I'm not invested in, it isn't. When I pick up a comic, I want to grab a complete story, not just one scene, and this wasn't it. If I finish this, I'll finish it in trade when it's cheaper.

Follow chezkevin on rss | twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go