Cover to Cover: In Hell, bacon eats you!

Continuing with this week: Squadron Supreme 2 #1 came out. As you may know, I was a huge fan of Straczynski's squadron, but since it doesn't appear as if Howard Chaykin is writing with the past squadron in mind, I'm gonna wait it out and see what other people think about it.

I hope it's damn good though, so on that note let's talk about the comics I did get.

House of Mystery #3
by Bill Willingham, Matthew Sturges and Luca Rossi

Okay, Bill Willingham's name is on the credits on the cover, except it doesn't seem like he wrote the back-up story in this. What is going on?

This issue was definitely not as good as the last two. Not much happens here, except for Fig figuring out that she can't leave the House of Mystery.

Also: where's the horror? Where's the fantasy? So what if some guy got impaled on a gas pipe? I don't pick up House of Mystery to read crime stories. I pick it up to read horror stories.

Right now, I probably sound angry, but that's not how I really feel about the House. It's just that this issue is a step down from the previous two. As always, the dialogue and the art is just delicious, but I'm really hoping that issue four brings back the magic.

The best dialogue on bacon also appeared in this issue:


"In Hell, the bacon eats you!"

Fables #74
by Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham

So here, the attack on the Adversary continues, and we get to see it through Boy Blue's eyes.

I don't think I need to tell you how awesome it is, but I will spoil some plot points for you.

-Reading the issue, you later get to see the inspiration for the cover art, which is a girl lying on some steps with her fruit askew. Briar Rose (aka Sleeping Beauty) pricks her finger in the Imperial City, putting everyone around her into a deep sleep. That girl with the fruit is only one of them, and yes, that is some very cool inspiration.

-Pinocchio is back in Fabletown!
Holy buckets!

The next issue is the big seventy-five, so it's there that we get to find out why the Emperor sent all his dragons out save one, and how the Fabletown forces try to deal with it.

Overall, not a particularly strong week for vertigo, but certainly not a weak week.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stats a-go-go